The Nalanda Translation Committee was founded in 1975 by the Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche—supports the dharma activity of the Vidyadhara and Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche, Shambhala International, its students, and the practice and study of Buddhist and Shambhala teachings by:
- Creating fresh and authentic translations of Tibetan practice texts and commentaries in English, and supporting their translation into other Western languages
- Translating from a variety of other genres of Tibetan Buddhist literature, including biographies, songs of realization, philosophy, and culture
- Publishing those texts with a high standard of quality
- Assisting with their transmission through teaching activities and the creation of supporting materials
- Helping with the performance of Buddhist and Shambhala ceremonies
When we translate works for the public of the Buddhist and Shambhala teachings, we use the name Nalanda Translation Committee. For translations restricted to certain levels of vajrayana or Shambhala practice, we use the name Vajravairochana Translation Committee.